About me:

My photo
I am a full time working mother of three and wife to an amazing man. I started this blog because I was helping some friends with menu planning around their weekly grocery sales ad. They encouraged me to share this with others. So here I am...blogging. Each week my friends from around the country will challenge me to plan a week's menu from their local ad. I will post that challenge here for all to see. I hope you are inspired to try something new each week.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

And so it begins....

First, let me say that I am not a blogger.  I have never done a blog, I don't follow blogs...I simply have not found the time.  I have friends who blog daily.  I do occasionally check their blogs.  That is as far as I get.  So this is a whole new world for me.

Second, I am starting this at the encouragement of my friends.  It started out simply enough: We were discussing the cost of food and the rising grocery and household goods bill.  We were all tossing out how much we spend and wondering how to feed our families.  I work in education and was telling how my students took our local ad and planned several meals for around $1.50 a serving.  They were amazed.  So, I offered to do the same for one of them.  She accepted.  I planned her menu for the week and she was so excited.  Then another friend asked me to do it for her (she said so she could be inspired to try new things, I secretly think she just wanted me to plan the weeks menu, which I love) so it gave me an excuse to do it again.  She was amazed and excited.  They suggested I start a blog doing just that very thing. So, here I am.

Each week one of them will give me their local sales ad and I will post a menu of 4-10 meals...some breakfast, some lunch and some dinner and maybe some desserts, using the sales ad and what one might have in the pantry.  I will combine the ad with some coupons (though not extreme coupons) and state what I think the best deals are that week.  I will try to post some recipes, but I make no promises.  I will also give tips on stocking up.  Your tips are always welcome, please share. 

Thanks for sharing in the adventure!  I hope that my blog inspires you!

2 comments:

  1. Leslie - this is so cool! I am inspired to look at the local coupons.....
    Doesn't it sometimes seem like a lot of work, though? My time is so limited.....
    :)
    Erin H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin~It does not take me long to figure out the ads...clipping the coupons takes awhile, but many store that offer loyalty cards also allow you to place coupons on your card. There are also a few websites that allow you to print only the coupons you are going to use. My goal here though is not necessarily coupons, but looking at the local ad and figuring out what to do with the random things that are offered each week.

    ReplyDelete